Visual iconography is needed to establish Central Valley Custom Construction as a company, and represent its brand moving forward. The previous brand imagery was discovered to be used by another company. The project goals are:
- Stand on its own as an original, copyrighted design
- Remain versatile for various mediums, and for the goal of growing into a large corporation
- Have the logo represent brand values:
- comprehensive, custom, strong work ethic, high quality, & high character
The solution for the project is a logo that represents the Central Valley Custom Construction brand, it values, and aspirations. Logo should be designed to be versatile for a variety of mediums & use cases.
The review of the competitive landscape informed the design direction of Central Valley Custom Construction:
- Atkins Construction Inc. has a bug color scheme, rounded-script typeface, flames, and have circular rivots detail.
- BUSH Construction has a green color scheme, thin, linear, generic sans serif typeface, extended, and rectangular design detail.
- JSC has a red color scheme, serif typeface, distressed style, slanted orientation, and underlined.
The best design direction for Central Valley Custom Construction, in order to fit both it’s company values, as well as stand apart from its competitors is to follow the following design direction:
- It should have angular, interlocking forms to evoke a sense of perfection & detail
- Icon/symbol can stand on it’s own to represent the brand so it can be used in a variety of mediums
- It should use a humanistic sans serif typeface to stand apart from the competitors’ script, thin sans serif, and serif.
- The use of a hexagonal design element can help the logo to stand out against the generic geometric forms
- The best potential good color scheme moving forward is orange and/or blue to evoke a sense of strong work ethic, quality, and having high character.
The chosen color scheme was a blue & orange, 2-color color scheme.
The blue and orange scheme was able to convey the values of CVCC—Orange representing CVCC’s strong work ethic, while blue representing its value on being a high character company—while doing so in a minimal amount of colors.
The benefit of this color scheme being able to accurately convey the brand in only two colors, also increased its versatility & cost effectiveness for reproducing for a variety of different mediums, especially for printed materials.
The selected typeface is Gotham, with the default logo font being Gotham Medium. This is a humanistic, san serif font which serves the design brief. The typography in the logo was slightly rounded after being composed, in order to give it a humanistic quality and break away from the boxy nature of competitor’s design style.
The CVCC icon serves a very important role of being both an abstract & literal form to represent CVCC and its values. This is part of the goal to make the logo as versatile as possible, so that the icon can be used on its own, without needing the typography to support it. The icon was slightly rounded, along with the text, in order to give it a humanistic quality and break away from the boxy nature of competitor’s design style.
The forms come together to initially portray a structure being put together. The angles come together to form what begins to look like a cube. With a second look, one can make out that the logo is casually made up of the four letters of CVCC. The hierarchy in size & color will lead the viewer to read the letters in order from the large outer C, inner orange V, and finally to the two inner Cs.
The Outer C: Security, Quality, & Percision
The outer C abstractly references a hexagonal nut. Hexagonal nuts can be seen as a sense of security, since they are used to fasten and tighten loose bolts and make them secure. This reference is made to evoke a sense of security and safety in the target audience, knowing that CVCC cares about quality and precision with it being the first thing they see.
The V: Strong Work Ethic
The orange V serves as the support beams to the structure. The orange color and the downward angle of the shape serves as the strong foundation of a hard work ethic that CVCC embodies.
The Two Inner Cs: High Character & Collaborative
The two inner Cs (one being flipped horizontally) meet together in the middle to demonstration the high character collaborative nature of CVCC. In the image, to depict two angle brackets coming together to complete the structure. But abstractly, it is meant to represent two parties (CVCC & the customer) being on equal footing, working together towards a common goal.
Negative Space Cube: Custom
The negative space in the middle forms a white cube, which is to represent the finished product that the customer receives. The negative space is used as a way to represent custom nature of CVCC. Each project is a blank slate for the customer to fill in with their wants and needs.
CVCC Primary Logo – Horizontal